If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Guest Post: Cameron Gates from Real Murder by Lauren Carr / @TheMysteryLadie


Good morning, everyone!

I'm pleased to have with me Cameron Gates from Lauren Carr's Real Murder.

Cameron, it's all yours!


Thanks, Miriam!

There’s a saying. “Better to have loved and lost than to never to have loved at all.”

Several years ago, I would not have agreed. For I had loved and lost. The pain almost killed me.

In October 2002, I had the traditional huge Catholic wedding to the love of my life, Pennsylvania State Trooper Nicholas Gates. Even before the wedding, he had changed my life.

I was a cop groupie in college. There was this thing about police officers, their uniforms, their guns, that really turned me on and I started hanging out in cop bars. This stage of my life ended up being a prologue for what was to come.

As luck would have it, I met Nick, who would discuss cases that he and his uniformed colleagues would run into. Over beers and peanuts, I would offer suggestions that on more than one occasion proved to be helpful in solving some of their cases. Nick convinced me to apply to the police academy. I did so on a whim—never expecting to get accepted.

Well, I was accepted and embarked on the next chapter of my life. No longer was I a cop groupie—I was now one of them.

Fifteen months after graduating from the academy, I was walking down the aisle in the biggest Catholic Church in Pittsburgh to vow for better or worse to the love of my life.

Four months later I was back in that same church for Nick’s funeral.

During a routine traffic stop one night, he had been run down in a hit and run.

I took out of control to a whole new level. Anger, booze—you name it. It didn’t take me long to go from the mountaintop to the gutter. My colleagues whispered not too quietly that I was crazy.

Luckily, self-preservation kicked in before I got washed away into life’s sewers. While I was still able to, I crawled away to a nice long rehab.

When I came back, it was with a vengeance. Nick had always said I had the makings of a great detective and I was going to prove him right—if only to make him proud of me. Despite my reputation of being crazy, I actually made it to homicide detective for the state police.

I guess you could say I’m crazy like a fox.

Once again, my life was under control. I had my sobriety (if not my sanity), a career, a home, and a cat (Irving, a twenty-five pound Maine Coon who looks like a skunk).

I didn’t need love. Been there. Done that. Hurt too much.

Then, when I least expected it, he walked into my life.

My Silver Fox.

Hancock County Prosecutor Joshua Thornton with his silver hair and piercing blue eyes that make me melt just looking into them. I could gaze into them all evening long while sharing an ice cream sundae for two while piecing together the clues from a murder case.

Joshua Thornton is more than a cop, he’s a prosecutor whose thirst for justice equals mine. A calculating mind to go with that sexy body.

I figured I’d sleep with him and that would be it. Like, I had a career and a cat with separation anxiety issues. I did not need a widower with five grown kids (including a teenager with raging hormones living at home).

It was going to just be a sex thing—with maybe enough love to make things interesting.

Before I knew it, I was wearing a ring and standing in front of a Protestant minister pledging to love, honor, and cherish and ‘til death do us part.

How did that happen? Yeah, he knows I’m crazy and he doesn’t care. Now if that isn’t love, I don’t know what is.

Somewhere along the line, when I wasn’t looking, life had turned the page and I went into Chapter Two of my life.

Now, I am half of the Lovers in Crime, and I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

~~~

Thank you, Cameron! I wish you and Josh the best on your adventures as the Lovers in Crime.

Want to know more about Cameron and Josh? Then check out their latest adventure in Real Murder.


Title: Lover In Crime Mystery, Book 2: Real Murder
Author: Lauren Carr
Publisher: Acorn Book Services
Release Date: May 28, 2014
Genre: Contemporary, Mystery, Suspense, Uniform

When Homicide Detective Cameron Gates befriends Dolly, the little old lady who lives across the street, she is warned not to get lured into helping the elderly woman by investigating the unsolved murder of one of her girls. “She’s senile,” Cameron is warned. “It’s not a real murder.”

Such is not the case. After Dolly is brutally murdered, Cameron discovers that the sweet blue-haired lady’s “girl” was a call girl, who had been killed in a mysterious double homicide.

Meanwhile, Prosecuting Attorney Joshua Thornton is looking for answers to the murder of a childhood friend, a sheriff deputy whose cruiser is found at the bottom of a lake. The deputy had disappeared almost twenty years ago while privately investigating the murder of a local prostitute.

It doesn’t take long for the Lovers in Crime to put their cases together to reveal a long-kept secret that some believe is worth killing to keep undercover. 



Other books in this series


Lauren Carr is the best-selling author of the Mac Faraday Mysteries, which takes place in Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. Twelve to Murder is the seventh installment in the Mac Faraday Mystery series.

In addition to her series set on Deep Creek Lake, Lauren Carr has also written the Lovers in Crime Mysteries, which features prosecutor Joshua Thornton with homicide detective Cameron Gates, who were introduced in Shades of Murder, the third book in the Mac Faraday Mysteries. They also make an appearance in The Lady Who Cried Murder.

Lauren launched the Lovers in Crime (first introduced in Shades of Murder) mystery series in September 2012 with Dead on Ice. Real Murder is the second installment in this series.

The owner of Acorn Book Services, Lauren is also a publishing manager, consultant, editor, cover and layout designer, and marketing agent for independent authors. This year, several books, over a variety of genre, written by independent authors will be released through the management of Acorn Book Services, which is currently accepting submissions. Visit Acorn Book Services website for more information.

Lauren is a popular speaker who has made appearances at schools, youth groups, and on author panels at conventions. She also passes on what she has learned in her years of writing and publishing by conducting workshops and teaching in community education classes.

She lives with her husband, son, and three dogs on a mountain in Harpers Ferry, WV.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Miriam, for inviting me and Cameron Gates to visit your blog today! As always, it is great meeting you and your followers!

    Best,
    Lauren Carr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lauren! All the best with your latest novel :)

      Delete