If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Review: Always by Miranda P. Charles / @MirandaPCharles




Title: Time For Love #4: Always
Author: Miranda P. Charles
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: October 22, 2014
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
ARC Received From: Miranda P. Charles


For Brenna Ward, fulfilling the New Year's resolution she made with her best friends to make time for love this year is proving difficult. The problem isn't finding a date, it's the falling in love bit... until she discovers that her best friend's brother has feelings for her.

Ash Payne has tried for years to make Brenna notice him--to no avail. Now that Brenna's dating another new guy, he's finally forced himself to accept that she'll never feel the same way about him. So he takes steps to ensure that he moves on from her--for real, this time.

When Brenna sneaks her way into Ash's every day life, the chance to explore what they could have together presents itself. But with complications from a past relationship muddying the waters, can Brenna convince Ash that her intentions go beyond merely feeling sorry for him? And, after years of unrequited love, can Ash allow himself to hope again?



Other books in this series



The one thing I worried about was Brenna's feelings for Ash weren't sincere. At first it felt like she was expressing interest because 1)of the romanticism of the moment (one of her best friends just got engaged), and 2)she felt bad that she hadn't noticed Ash's interest in her throughout the years. Getting to know Brenna and Ash in the other stories, I didn't want them falling into a "pity" relationship. That wouldn't be fair to either of them, not when everyone deserves a chance at falling in love for real. 
Years of watching Brenna with other guys has taken its toll on Ash, and he's decided it's time to move on with his life without her. His decision is made around the same time Brenna realizes something different in how she reacts to him, how she's hyper aware of his good looks, how badly she wanted to know what it would be like to kiss him. Finding out he likes her as more than a friend catapults her into action. "Accidental" run ins, suggestive tones, touches, looks... They pave the way to their first time being intimate together.

What went on from there had my heart in my throat and me on the verge of tears. Brenna's got a heart of gold and a willingness to help out a friend, even if that friend is an ex. Her intentions with said ex were honorable but I think she should have had more consideration for Ash's feelings about the situation and her ex. Ash and her ex weren't friends to begin with; she should have known what her ex was asking of her wouldn't sit well with him. At. All.

I've never felt so on edge with a contemporary that wasn't drowning in suspense, mystery, intrigue, death, murder, etc. At the heart of this story is the need to love and be loved. The hills and valleys Ash and Brenna traveled over and through in order to feel that is what captivated me. I kept wondering if I'd be able to do what Ash did for Brenna, or if I'd be able to see things the way Brenna did. Could I have made those decisions? Would I have felt those same emotions? How would I have reacted if I were in either of their shoes?

The joy of reading a wonderfully written book like this one is I don't have to think too hard about the answers to those questions. If the author knows their characters, like Ms. Charles knows hers, he/she will write the answers to those questions without robbing the reader of the emotions that come with them.

A great story for contemporary fans who want hot and sensual without erotic and explicit. Ash and Brenna's romance was years in the making. It just took the right moment for it to happen.

 
Ever since I was a young teenager, I have loved reading romance novels.  My auntie used to send me boxes of her books and I would devour them one after another.
Every so often, I would read a mystery or a suspense or a paranormal novel as I love those genres too.  But romance is still my favourite. :)

For many years, I wrote technical and non-fiction materials for professional use and had only dreamt about writing a novel.

Then, one day, after a period of binge-reading sexy romances, I decided to sit in front of my computer and start writing my first fiction book.  The result?  My first novel in the hot and sexy Lifestyle by Design series.

After that, I knew that I would love to tell more beautiful love stories through my books.

I live in Sydney, Australia with my amazing husband who lovingly cheers me on (and yes, sometimes irritates and annoys me ;) ) in my journey as a novelist.

No comments:

Post a Comment