If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Guest Post: Write What You Know... Or Write Your Profession Into Your Book / @AlyssaBreck


As an avid reader, I come across some interesting pairings: a firefighter and a baker, a rich guy and a poor girl, a blue collar man and a city girl, a doctor and an adrenaline junkie, a mom and a sworn bachelor, etc. But a paralegal and a rock star?

The lovely Ms. Alyssa Breck shares why her paralegal is a paralegal and she paired her with a rock star.





Thanks for having me, Miriam! :)

Okay, so this will be a confession of sorts. They say write what you know, right? Well, I’m a freelance legal assistant in my other life. For Unraveled, I pulled a little from my legal knowledge and paired it up with every girl’s rock star fantasy.



Evie’s character is modeled loosely around my office life from days past and my love of casual Fridays when I had to punch a time clock forty plus hours per week and couldn’t wait for the weekends to begin. After a discussion with another author about hot rock stars, I based Lyle on the late Peter Steele of Type O Negative. We had a lengthy conversation about why he would be a perfect rock star fantasy character. *insert fangirl giggles here*


I tossed the two characters together and added some stalker action, gunfire and hot sex. I’m pleased with the result of this unlikely pairing and it’s way more exciting than anything I’ve ever done in real life. :)

 ~~~

I've heard that saying before and wondered how many authors wrote parts of their real life into stories. Well, now I can say I know at least one! Thank you, Alyssa, for stopping by!

Keep reading to find out more Lyle, Evie, and that gunshot!


Title: Unraveled
Author: Alyssa Breck
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: August 11, 2014
Genre: Contemporary, Music, Romance

Brant lives quietly under the romantic radar until a coworker invites her to a concert where she meets Lyle Crane, the sexy singer of a heavy metal band. A little harmless flirting between the shy paralegal and the outgoing rock star provokes a crazed fan to eliminate her competition. 

Chemistry brews between Evie and Lyle when a gunshot rings out in the dark and the unlikely couple is set on a collision course neither of them saw coming.




Alyssa Breck is an author of horror, paranormal romance and erotic fiction. She grew up reading Stephen King and V.C. Andrews. The Shining changed her life and sparked a love of all things scary, spooky and spine-chilling. Add some romance to that and she found her niche weaving paranormal and erotic romance stories. Alyssa lives in the south with her family and myriad pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment