If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Monday, April 27, 2015

Review: Heath by Chelsea Camaron / @ReadLoveLust @chelseacamaron





Title: Heath
Series & Book #: A Roughnecks Short #2
Author: Chelsea Camaron
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: April 20, 2015
Genre: Contemporary, Sports, Romance
ARC Received From: Love Between The Sheets



“One day, I will be more than an item to be bought or sold, won or lost.”

At fifteen, she was helpless. At eighteen, she was ruined. LoraLeigh Riffel fights every day to hold on to herself as she is tossed from the loser to the next winner, time and again.

Heath ‘Hitman’ Thomas works hard and plays even harder. From tripping pipes to winning fights, his world is in his hands.

When a battered and unstable woman is left at his doorstep for payment on a fight, every-thing changes in an instant.

She is the prize, but is he willing to accept the payment?




Other books in this series:



Book 1: Maverick: Amazon US | Amazon UK
Book 3: Lance: Coming May 18



(My review is not in typical review format. I hope my readers are able to forgive me that minor sin.)

Dear Ms. Camaron,

I've never read any of your books and I wonder why. Heath was...turbulence in writing.

I wonder if you knew the emotions it would generate when you wrote it. Did you know I'd cry over LoraLeigh's plight? Did you know I would understand how welcoming death would be? I wonder if you'd seen inside my head when you wrote this, because how else would you know how much of a blessing suicide would be to a person drowning in despair?

I can't claim to have ever walked in LoraLeigh's shoes. I wasn't born to an addict, wasn't used as payment for her debt or anyone else's. I don't know what it's like to be used like I'm nothing, like I don't matter because I really don't. By all accounts, my life was normal compared to hers. But the darkness you depicted in her... I understood that. I knew that.

And it was so frightening to see it on paper.

But I love your redemption plan. I love how you brought her to Heath when you did. The timing was perfect. At the time, it probably didn't seem like it to LoraLeigh, but hindsight is twenty-twenty, you know? He was strong enough to inflict damage on her like her former "protector" but he didn't. She wasn't the payment he wanted but she was the payment he accepted. His acceptance opened a door for something unexpected, and that turned out to be the best thing for both of them.

Watching LoraLeigh heal under Heath's fierce protectiveness, caring, and admiration made me smile even as I cried. The tears weren't out of sorrow this time. I cried because recovery is a beautiful thing to witness. Seeing someone come back from the brink of despair and destruction to step into a present and potential future filled with possibility... That's amazing. And you... You did her healing justice. Thank you for that.

I don't know if you'll read this, Ms. Camaron, but if you do I hope you know how much this story means to me. I've read stories that have touched my heart, some that have touched my soul. But this one resonates in both places. Thank you for this amazing story.

Miriam






Chelsea Camaron was born and raised in Coastal North Carolina. She currently resides in Southern Louisiana with her husband and two children but her heart is always Carolina day dreaming.

Chelsea always wanted to be a writer, but like most of us, let fear of the unknown grab a hold of her dream. She realized that if she was going to tell her daughter to go for her dreams, that it was time to follow her own advice.
Chelsea grew up turning wrenches alongside her father, and from that grew her love for old muscle cars and Harley Davidson motorcycles, which just so happened to inspire the Love and Repair and Hellions Ride series.

When she is not spending her days writing you can find her playing with her kids, attending car shows, going on motorcycle rides on the back of her husband’s Harley, snuggling down with her new favorite book or watching any movie that Vin Diesel might happen to be in.


No comments:

Post a Comment