If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Guest Post: Sofia Grey Talks About Losing Sight / @SofiaGreyAuthor


The stories I've read where one of the main characters has a disability have mostly been historical romances, men who came home from the Napoleonic War with injuries medicine at the time couldn't heal. Some were mental, many were emotional, and even more were physical.

But I haven't read a lot of contemporary romances like this. Those I have read have been PTSD centered, and the characters' struggle was almost always more mental than physical.

When I discovered Sofia Grey's latest novel, Seeing the Love, was about a man going blind and a woman who didn't know, I was intrigued. What was it like writing a story about a character with a disability?

The lovely Ms. Grey is here today to answer that question and to share more about her book.





Writing a romance with a blind hero? That was a challenge.

Most novels have a story behind them, and Seeing the Love is no exception. A couple of years ago, one of my publishers (Time & Tide Publishing) put out a call for a boxed set they were planning. They wanted to support a very specific charity, one that seeks a cure for choroideremia. This is a genetic condition that affects some men, and results in blindness. The submission call wanted stories that featured the condition.

At the time, I couldn’t recall reading any other romances with a similarly disabled hero, and it caught my interest. Big time.

My hero would have impaired vision, but all his other senses would still work. He’d still be capable of falling in love, but wary, having been rejected by one woman already. He’d still have a tiny amount of his sight left, enough to use modified computer equipment at work—and if he could use email, there was a chance that others might not know he was disabled.

I love the friends-to-lovers trope, and also stories where the main characters spend time writing letters and emails to each other, and both these themes came to play in Seeing the Love.

Creating my proud, damaged hero, Lucas Wade, was a satisfying process, and this is one of my favourite books so far. Sadly, the boxed set plans fell through, but that gave me the opportunity to release it myself. I’m currently working with a professional narrator, to bring Seeing the Love to life as an audiobook, and that should be released later this year.

So tell me. Have you enjoyed any other romances with a disabled hero? I’ll give away one ecopy of Seeing the Love to a commenter picked at random.

~~~

Thank you, Sofia, for stopping by today and best of sales with your latest book.

Want to know more about the book? Find out below and don't forget to comment for a chance to win an ecopy of Seeing the Love.


Title: Seeing the Love
Publisher: Acelette Press
Release Date: July 15, 2015
Genre: Contemporary, Romance


She’s about to light up his life



Lucas Wade is losing his sight. As the darkness threatens to swamp him, the one bright spot in his day comes in the form of Natalie Fontaine. She works in the sales office, hundreds of miles away, and she alone treats him like a regular guy. She has no idea about his disability, and he doesn’t plan on telling her about it.

But if Lucas can't be honest with her, Natalie may never see the love he has to offer.







Romance author Sofia Grey spends her days managing projects in the corporate world and her nights hanging out with wolf shifters and alpha males. She devours pretty much anything in the fiction line, but she prefers her romances to be hot, and her heroes to have hidden depths. When writing, she enjoys peeling back the layers to expose her characters’ flaws and always makes them work hard for their happy endings.

Music is interwoven so tightly into my writing that I can’t untangle the two. Either I’m listening to a playlist on my iPod, have music seeping from my laptop speakers, or there’s a song playing in my head – sometimes on auto-repeat.

Check out my image collections on Pinterest and my music playlists on Spotify.

1 comment: