If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Monday, September 14, 2015

Guest Post: A Meaningful Moment with Darby Briar / @BTSPromosPR @DarbyBriar


Ever come across that moment in a book that just makes your heart stop? Or maybe it speeds up instead? For me, that moment is what I remember the story by. I hear the title and I think, "I've read that! It's where ____________ happened!"

So how about for an author? They are the ones who write those moments into their stories and I've often wondered if there is one incident that stands out above the rest for them.

I asked that question to the lovely Darby Briar, author of Burning Ember, and she's here today to answer it.

Darby?




Thank you for having me as a guest on your blog. I'm very happy to have help getting the word out about Burning Ember. This book has been my life for almost two years and a lot of sweat and tears went into writing it. I appreciate you taking a chance on my book and having me here.

I guess the most unforgettable moment in Burning Ember for me, and it's hard to pick just one because so many come to mind, but if I had to pick one, it would be the boxing scene in the old club garage.

*Here's a little snippet of that scene:


His voice lowers and he speaks right next to my ear. “You’re better than this place. And fuck, I know you’re too good for me, but that doesn’t stop me from wanting you.”
My chest expands, fills with warmth.
“I know I’ve pushed you away to the point you want to go, and I know I don’t deserve one, but I can fix this. I want a chance to fix this.”
With every bone in my body, I ache to give in to him. But I’m so angry and so wary of his moods. How can I believe him when he’s turned on me at every opportunity?
I can’t.
The silence stretches between us until I ask, “Are you going to stop me if I want to leave?”
He sighs and drops his head into the curve of my neck. His arms tighten around me. “It’s your life. You’re free to do whatever you want. I won’t stop you if that’s what you feel you need to do. But I really fuckin’ hope you stay. I’m better than this. I swear to fuckin’ Christ I am. Let me prove it.”
A snake coils around my heart. The same snake that’s been there since the moment I met Mav. I raise my hand and cover his arm around my stomach for a few seconds. I soak up the feel of him. There is something here. Being in his arms feels like it’s where I’m supposed to be. I can’t explain why. Without permission, he’s seared himself onto my heart. Lit a fire so deep inside me, I don’t know if it’ll ever burn out. And I know no matter where I go from here, every moment we have shared will stay with me.
The good and the bad.
I step out of his arms, and he reluctantly lets me go. I don’t give him an answer and he doesn’t demand one. Maybe because he knows what the answer will be if I have to make it right now.

*end of scene*

A lot of people don't know this, but I almost cut that entire scene early on. In the author world novels longer than 100,000 or even 120,000 words are frowned upon. I got a lot of crap for how long my book was after the final first draft, so all throughout my editing I kept looking for things to cut. Funny now, people keep telling me they didn't want it to end and the book is a hefty 166,000 words. No lie. I'm very pleased with the response and I think for some people they can see that having a longer book lets you really get to know these character and live in their shoes for a while. Honestly I'm been amazed by the great reviews and I can't wait to see what more people think of Burning Ember.

Now I see this scene as a pivotal point in the book where Mav started to prove he could change his stripes. It also finally gives the reader more than a glimpse into Ember's past and Ember explains how it is she got herself into the situation she's in. You also get to see a side of Mav that you've never seen before and man...is it delish. :) The book wouldn't be the same without this scene, and I'm glad I didn't cut it. I know after reading it, you'll think I'm crazy for even considering doing so.

Happy reading and thank you for letting me talk a little about my new book!


~~~

That's heavy stuff right there, Darby. Change is hard, but it's so worth doing if just to prove that you can. Thank you so much for coming by and for sharing "that moment" with us!

Wanna know more about Burning Ember and see how much Mav changes for Ember? Find out more below and don't forget to connect with Darby online!


Title: Burning Ember
Series: Harbingers of Chaos, Book 1
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: August 27, 2015
Genre: Contemporary, New Adult (NA), Motorcycle Club (MC), Romance

The last thing she needs after running from one monster is to land in the lair of the Devil.

Twenty-one year old Ember flees her past with soot on her face, ash in her hair, and a promise. She’ll never let another man take away her freedom and treat her like she means nothing.

But that is exactly what Maverick Gunn, leader of the notorious Harbinger’s of Chaos Motorcycle Club seeks to do from the moment his lethal gaze locks on her. He burns her with every look. Every touch. Every word.

Ember’s only hope is to convince him she’s nothing like the woman who blackened his soul before he drags her down into the darkness with him.




Darby Briar is an American author who loves writing stories about men with broken souls and women who don’t know their own strength. Most of her stories are dreamed up in the early hours of the morning, while driving, or while listening to music. She’s a business woman by day and a wife, mother, writer, and reader the rest of the time. She’s a lover of fiction whether it be a movie or book, but prefers stories with some romance, and ones that include a happy ending. Darby grew up in Utah and still lives in the northern part of the state. She’s married and her and her husband have three adorable kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment