If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Review: Rogue Knight by Regan Walker / @RegansReview


Title: Rogue Knight
Series: Medieval Warriors, Book 2
Author: Regan Walker
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: October 7, 2015
Genre: Historical (Medieval), Romance
ARC Received From & Reviewed For: Regan Walker


York, England 1069… three years after the Norman Conquest

North of England seethes with discontent under the heavy hand of William the Conqueror, who unleashes his fury on the rebels who dare to defy him. Amid the ensuing devastation, love blooms in the heart of a gallant Norman knight for a Yorkshire widow.

A LOVE NEITHER CAN DENY, A PASSION NEITHER CAN RESIST

Angry at the cruelty she has witnessed at the Normans’ hands, Emma of York is torn between her loyalty to her noble Danish father, a leader of the rebels, and her growing passion for an honorable French knight.

Loyal to King William, Sir Geoffroi de Tournai has no idea Emma hides a secret that could mean death for him and his fellow knights.

WAR DREW THEM TOGETHER, WAR WOULD TEAR THEM APART
War erupts, tearing asunder the tentative love growing between them, leaving each the enemy of the other. Will Sir Geoffroi, convinced Emma has betrayed him, defy his king to save her?



Other books in this series


Like the first book of this series, the contempt between Normans and English is almost tangible. The English are loathe to kneel at the feet of a Norman King and those who would revolt against his leadership ban together to take back their country from him.

Among the rebels is Emma, a young widow whose father is leader of the rebels. She is beautiful, kind, compassionate, and giving. But she remembers the cruelty done to the English and her hatred for them burns strong. Until she meets Geoffroi. He is her enemy but his honor makes him less so and more a man she feels passionately for.

Geoffroi sees Emma's dislike and distrust of him but is unable to stop his heartfelt offer to help in her time of need. But he can't help but give an open-ended offer of help if she ever needs it. I don't know who was more surprised by that--me or Emma! Yet she takes him up on that offer, too many times for me to count, lol, and I was happy she did. It served two purposes: for Geoffroi to prove honor was not just on the battlefield, and for Emma to see kindness in an enemy.

The hard part for me was Emma deciding not to say anything about her rebel connections. It really, really made my heart hurt that she kept that from the man she was falling in love with. I knew this story had a happy ending, Ms. Walker wouldn't leave her readers without one, but man... It was hard to imagine one coming after everything that went down.

This is not a soft story. The Medieval era was brutal, on and off the battlefield. Whether or not love actually happened between enemies during this time period, I can't say. But I love that Ms. Walker wove fiction with reality, combined real people with fictional ones without the relationships feeling awkward.

I don't know if you'll like this story as much as I did. Maybe Medieval romances aren't your thing. Maybe, like me, you tend to shy from these stories because of the brutality and cruelty of that time. Or maybe you've just never thought about reading this kind of story. I hope you do. I hope you take a chance, get to know Emma and Geoffroi, discover a really great enemies-to-lovers romance in these pages like I did.

Well done, Ms. Walker. Emma and Geoffroi are characters worth getting to know because you made their story worth reading.



I didn't start out as a writer of romance and becoming a bestselling author on Amazon and the winner of a RONE award were the subject of dreams when I first began writing historical novels. But dreams do come true.

As of 2015, I am a multi-published author of Regency, Georgian and Medieval novels, some of which have reached #1 in Amazon's Top 100 lists. I have been a featured author on USA TODAY's HEA blog three times and twice nominated for the prestigious RONE award (My first medieval, The Red Wolf's Prize, won in 2015).

I write historically authentic novels with real history and real historic figures. I want my readers to experience history, adventure and, of course, love.

Although I wrote stories as a child, by the time I got to college, at the urging of my professors, I became a lawyer. But after years of serving clients in private practice and several stints in high levels of government, I decided it was time for a change. And I have never looked back. Through my work, I had come to love international travel and meeting new people. I also gained a feel for the demands of the "Crown" on its subjects. Hence, when I turned to writing historical novels, it seemed natural that my first novels and stories would feature a demanding sovereign who thinks of his subjects as his private talent pool—and so was born the Agents of the Crown series.

I live in San Diego with my wonderful Golden Retriever "Link." My one son is a young entrepreneur and looks like a Highlander of old--tall, dark and handsome.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the great review, Miriam. I'm so glad you liked the story of Sir Geoffroi and Emma.

    ReplyDelete