If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Friday, October 16, 2015

Review: Never Say Never by Emily Goodwin / @BTSPromosPr



Title: Never Say Never
Author: Emily Goodwin
Publisher: Black Ink
Release Date: September 28, 2015
Genre: Contemporary, New Adult, Romance
ARC Received From & Reviewed For: Between the Sheets Promotions


My life was full of nevers. 

It was never supposed to go this way. I was never supposed to lose Mom so soon. I was never supposed to worry about making ends meet, to worry about losing the farm. I never thought I’d be working a job I hate, with a boss who was more interested in what was under my shirt than in my head. Saving neglected and abused horses had been my whole life. It was my reprieve, my sanity, my last saving grace in a cruel world. I never thought I’d grow to resent it, but I guess there is a first for everything. 

Then I met him. 

The Hollywood playboy. The entitled, cocky asshole that I can’t get out of my head. I never thought there could be more to him than sex appeal and an infamous reputation of loving and leaving. I never thought I’d fall for him, put my heart on the line, and risk letting him completely destroy me. 

But you know what they tell you…never say never.




This is probably one of the few books I've read in my lifetime where the title said it all.

Life is filled with possibilities. Despite the hardships we face, despite the losses we endure, even despite the successes we enjoy, life is still filled with possibilities. There is no such as never so long as you, or someone who cares about you, believes the impossible is possible.

Haley and Aiden each had their own issues to deal with. Haley, losing her mom and trying to maintain the horse farm they had together. Aiden, dealing with drug and alcohol addiction while trying to find something that will fill the void in his life despite appearing to have it all. Their meeting wasn't accidental but it was the catalyst for their individual healing to occur.

Strangers become friends who become lovers. Their individual brokenness, as they see it, doesn't keep them apart. It draws them together and they mend as their relationship progresses, as they worked the farm together.

You know, when they first met I was so tempted to write them off as perfect for each other. But that would've been a foregone conclusion on my part. I didn't want the to start perfect for each other. I wanted them to end perfect for each other. The attraction between them was instant, no denying that, but I wanted the good stuff to come first before they gave into that attraction. I wanted them to heal, to find closure, to see the future could still be as bright and beautiful as it once was to them.

Did I get that? Hmm... I say I did.

The storyline isn't original. I've certainly read at least a handful like this--guy falls for girl just as damaged as he is. But Ms. Goodwin makes this storyline her own by using abused horses as a way for Haley and Aiden to heal. The horses are just as damaged as they are. Under their love and care, they heal and flourish. So it was for Haley and Aiden. Under each other's love and care, they healed and flourished and were made whole again. Their individual nevers turned into a beautiful forever.




Emily Goodwin is the author of the twice banned dark romance, STAY, as well as over a dozen other titles. Emily writes all types of romance, from love stories set in the zombie apocalypse to contemporary romances taking place on a western horse ranch. Emily lives in Indiana with her husband, children, and many pets, including a German Shepherd named Vader. When she isn't writing, Emily can be found riding her horses, designing and making costumes, and sitting outside with a good book.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That quote alone makes me want to pick this one up! I agree that the storyline is trite—inexperienced, damaged girl meets cocky, equally damaged (yet sexy/hilarious/totally-into-her) playboy—but honestly there's a reason it's so popular. If done well, it's such a provocative genre to read. I'm glad you enjoyed the book overall :) Thanks for your lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's a great book. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete