If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Friday, November 13, 2015

Review: The Christmas Cowboy by Shanna Hatfield / @ShannaHatfield


Title: The Christmas Cowboy
Series: Rodeo Romance, Book 1
Author: Shanna Hatfield
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: October 14, 2013
Genre: Contemporary, Western, Romance
ARC Received From & Reviewed For: Shanna Hatfield


You never know where you'll run into love...

Flying from city to city in her job as a busy corporate trainer for a successful direct sales company, Kenzie Beckett doesn’t have time for a man. And most certainly not for the handsome cowboy she keeps running into at the airport. Burned twice, she doesn’t trust anyone wearing boots and Wranglers, especially someone as charming and handsome as Tate Morgan.

Among the top saddle bronc riders in the rodeo circuit, easy-going Tate Morgan can handle the toughest horse out there, but trying to handle the beautiful Kenzie Beckett is a completely different story.

As the holiday season approaches, this Christmas Cowboy is going to need more than a little mistletoe to win her heart.



Other books in this series


Communication. I think, at some point in all our lives, we have moments when we aren't so good at this. Almost twelve years of being married and I can honestly say I do. It drives my husband crazy when I refuse to say anything because he's left in the dark about what I'm feeling and/or thinking. My stubbornness leaves him unable to understand or help me.

This is Kenzie. Past relationships were a terrific reason for her being wary of Tate but her refusal to tell him caused an insane amount of grief for both of them, you know? But Tate isn't the kind of man to give up. His patience pays off in a big way, even though it took an injury for Kenzie to come around again.

There is a...lightheartedness to Tate and Kenzie's relationship that really touched my heart. Those moments are reminders for me that life doesn't always have to be so serious, that it's okay to smile and enjoy the silliness that sometimes happens in a relationship. For Kenzie and Tate, those times only made their attraction stronger.

I can't remember the last time I read a clean, contemporary Western romance. Probably before the time of e-readers if I really think about it. And while I love a great cowboy romance, there is something about this story that moved me. I want to say it's because it's all about the relationship but, truthfully, that's only part of it. I can't quite put my finger on it but whatever "it" is that makes this story unique and special and real is overwhelming. In a good way, of course.

This is my second Shanna Hatfield story and I'm honored I was given the chance to read and review it. We might be a ways-away from Christmas and the Christmas season (I'm still trying to make it to Thanksgiving, lol, before I actually acknowledge anything Christmas) but this story is a great way to get a jump on it. A great fun read with bits of humor balanced with bits of seriousness wrapped and tied up in a sigh-inducing happy ending.


A hopeless romantic with a bit of sarcasm thrown in for good measure, Shanna Hatfield is a best-selling author of clean romantic fiction written with a healthy dose of humor.

In addition to blogging and eating too much chocolate, she is completely smitten with her husband, lovingly known as Captain Cavedweller.

Shanna creates character-driven romances with realistic heroes and heroines. Her historical westerns have been described as “reminiscent of the era captured by Bonanza and The Virginian” while her contemporary works have been called “laugh-out-loud funny, and a little heart-pumping sexy without being explicit in any way.”

She is a member of Western Writers of America, Women Writing the West, and Romance Writers of America.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Miriam! You touched my heart with your lovely review! I can't begin to thank you enough. So, so happy you were willing to give my books a try!
    Thank you so very much!
    Happy Weekend and almost Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Shanna. Thank you so much for asking!

      Delete