If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Review: Worlds Apart by Holly Mortimer / @EJBookPromos @Mortimerwrites


Series & Title: The Sisters, Book 3: Worlds Apart
Author: Holly Mortimer
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: January 5, 2016
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
ARC Received From & Reviewed For: Enticing Journey Book Promotions


Samantha
I moved to Ireland for a year to film the movie that would change my life. What I didn’t expect, was that dark and dangerous Brennan Murphy would throw my very calculated existence into chaos. I had worked too hard to bury my secrets and it would take a lot more than heated words and scorching looks to get me to give into the temptation of throwing it all away for him.

Brennan
How can I want a woman so bad when she represents everything I despise? I can’t get her out from under my skin and I’m not entirely sure I want to. But there’s more at stake here than meets the eye. I’ve got responsibilities and she’s got secrets. Together, we’re destined for disaster, but I’m willing to risk it all for her, the problem is, I don't know if she’s willing to risk anything for me.



Other books in this series


Brennan and Samantha. At first glace, they didn't seem at all compatible and that was only based on their occupations. He's a pub owner, she's an actress. But as I read along, I realized they were more compatible than I though.

They each had secrets. Brennan's wasn't so horrible and I understood why he hadn't come out and said to Samantha, "I'm a father." Who does that? It's like a first date no-no. The same goes for Samantha. Her secrets were, in her mind only, horrible and made her unworthy of a man's affection, especially a man who had a child. But the sins of her past do not define her to Brennan. The challenge was making her understand that.

The added twist of a stalker was...okay? I don't know. A part of me would have liked for that part to be more pronounced than it was, but the other part is really glad it wasn't. Samantha's past was why the stalker was after her to begin with. The weight of that alone was already too much. Making the plot more sinister and darker would have detracted from what she had to face alone and then with Brennan.

I liked this story. The swearing made me chuckle. The banter made me grin. While I enjoyed both, I also enjoyed the serious moments they had as individuals and as a couple. They began as strangers and ended as lovers, growing and moving on as they did. They learned to trust each other with their hearts and secrets; to see the past as the past and to let it go; to embrace the possibility of a future filled with everything they never had because they each other.



Holly Mortimer is a wife and mother of two daughters, residing in Stratford, ON. She started writing in high school in an Ancient Egyptian History class, penning her first piece on Cleopatra and her many loves. Her teacher immediately asked her if she had any interest in writing soap operas when she graduated and the rest is history.

She has just completed her second novel, Ignite and is currently working the third book in this series.

She loves reading, watching movies and playing with her kids, dog and family, when she’s not daydreaming about her current book obsession.


No comments:

Post a Comment