If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Friday, April 22, 2016

Review: Fatal Submission by Nicole Austin / @WTMOreads @NicoleAustin1



Title: Fatal Submission
Author: Nicole Austin
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: February 1, 2016
Genre: Contemporary, Horror, Erotica
ARC Received From & Reviewed For: Words Turn Me On


Claire Hanson is a submissive in need of a Dom. Finding one in rural Illinois in 1981 is no easy feat but her requirements are simple. Forget complicated limit lists, take charge and give her lots of hot, sweaty sex.

On edge, body humming with arousal, Claire aches to have her desires sated. And ruggedly handsome Dominant Mason Burke is the man she wants. But for Mason work comes first and Claire’s tired of waiting.

Mason’s loss is Dr. Carl Skinner’s lucky break. The bonus—Carl’s a rich, drop-dead gorgeous Dom with a real dungeon in his basement.

Getting what you want isn’t always a good thing and the game takes a drastic turn Claire never saw coming. According to the Dungeon Master’s victims who still haunt his torture chamber, submission has fatal consequences and she’s running out of time.

Reader Advisory: This scary tale contains graphic scenes of erotic torture and violence that may cause the reader to stay up late reading with all the lights on.

Patience is a virtue and Good things come to those who wait echoed in my brain as I read this story. I liked Claire's realization and acceptance of what she needed for sexual fulfillment. I admired that she found a Dom she believed could fulfill those needs and more. I was not too thrilled with her patience, but hindsight is always better, right?

Not that Mason was any better. At least, not at first. One too many canceled dates sends his potential sub into another man's arms when all he had to do was be open with her about why he couldn't see her. Finding his cousin was of the utmost importance, which I understood. Family first, you know? But just as a sub is a required to open and honest with his/her Dom/me, that same courtesy should be exchanged as well. While I don't fault Mason for keeping his secrets, I wished he'd been open sooner.

But then, maybe it wouldn't have led Claire to the man Mason had been looking for.

When the dust settled and Claire was with the Dom she always meant to submit to, I wondered if that was it. Ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after, her time with the Dungeon Master all but forgotten. I didn't want it to end that way. Call me twisted, but almost every person who suffers at the hands of another carries those memories with them. Sometimes they're called forth by a smell, a sound, a word, an object. Sometimes they come in the form of dreams of what could have been but isn't.

Imagine my surprise when, at the very end, Ms. Austin wrote that in. She brought the nightmare of Claire's experience to the forefront again. It was just a dream, I'll give you that. It was short but vivid and it made me wonder... Was the Dungeon Master really gone?

If you don't like erotic horror or torture, I really won't advise you to try this. I don't normally read this genre but I was curious enough to try it out. I'm not sure I want to know if the Dungeon Master is gone or not, even though Claire has Mason beside her to battle the bad guy again. I think once through that nightmare was enough for me. That isn't to say Ms. Austin did a horrible job writing this. She did a great job and if she writes stories that are a little less...scary (don't mean to sound like a total wuss here) I might read them.

But this... Yeah... Once was enough.


(To be clear, the 4.5 rating is because it really is a great book even if I won't read it again and the scary factor was more than I expected.)

Colorado: The new frontier. This is the voyage of Nicole Austin. It’s been a lifelong mission. To explore awe-inspiring vistas. To get out of the rut, seek new experiences. To boldly go where she’s dreamed of being.

A passion for erotic romance, along with the voices in her head that refuse to be silenced, have led to the creation of provocative stories that push boundaries and release inhibitions, resulting in extreme reader satisfaction. Scandalous!

Now she lives in an incredible world where fantasy comes to life in bold, vivid detail. Well, until real life intrudes, but Nicole fights a valiant battle to keep reality moments at a minimum and hold onto the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment