If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Review: Catch Me a Cowboy by Jacquie Underdown / @bookenthupromo @authoraire



Title: Catch Me A Cowboy
Author: Jacquie Underdown
Publisher: Escape Publishing - Harlequin Enterprises, Australia Pty Ltd
Release Date: August 25, 2016
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
ARC Received From: Escape Publishing via NetGalley
Reviewed For: Book Enthusiast Promotions


The biggest risks yield the greatest gains—especially in the game of love.

Emily Wolfe, real estate agent to the elite, is tired of being alone. So when she gets a chance to compete on a reality dating show she decides to risk it all for love in the biggest game of her life.

The city girl is surprised how much she enjoys switching her high heels for cowboy boots and pedicures for mud treatments—and not the kind you find at a day spa. And she’s falling hard for Wil Parker, the sexy, rugged farmer at the centre of the show.

Amidst the chaos, tantrums and editing tape, the heat and passion between Emily and Wil reaches boiling point. But can they survive the imminent explosion, let alone the fallout?

I've never watched a full episode of a reality dating show. They don't interest me. I don't know. Seemed like a lot cattiness, backstabbing, lying, itching for a fight nonsense. Good entertainment, of that I have no doubt, and I'm sure the contestants did find true love. But, well, it wasn't for me.

So I wasn't sure I'd like this story. Television's one thing. Reading about it? That's a whole different ballgame. For one, I didn't have the distraction of commercials. Damn things are so annoying! Interrupting right when it gets good, making you throw your hands in the air and say, "Are you kidding me?"

Yeah, you don't get that when you read about a reality dating show.

So would I like it? Or would it just be as annoying as its small screen counterpart?

I liked that this wasn't set in America. Sorry, love me some American cowboys but it was nice that this was overseas and Down Under. The setting really made it for me. It evoked that warmth, nervous, school-girl feeling in me. You know, the one that feels something like, "Oh, God, I hope we end up together! He's amazing, in every sense of the word!"

But I'm babbling. Forgive me.

Truly, this story was enjoyable because everything in it was better than the television version. I could picture all of this in my head, could see the attraction spark between Wil and Emily, could see the changes that slowly overtook Emily the longer she was on the show. And I could feel so much because the distraction of everything else a reality show offers wasn't there, not in my head at least. I could filter it out, focus on this couple that I hoped would overcome their fears and reach for what was in front of them even when outside factors battled to pull them apart.

It is, after all, a reality show. And what's a reality show without a little...competition? *rolls eyes*

True love and a heart-to-heart connection between people happens regardless of circumstances. Drive and desire help them fight the odds to maintain those things. Wil and Emily no doubt mirror a real life couple out there somewhere who found love on a television show and have persevered despite the odds.

I may not enjoy television reality dating shows but I sure enjoyed reading about it.


Jacquie resides in rural Victoria, Australia, with her husband and two sons. She holds a Bachelor of Business, studied post-grad Writing, Editing, and Publishing at The University of Queensland, and earned a Master of Letters from the University of Central Queensland.

Jacquie is an author of a number of novels, novellas and short stories and is published in the genres of contemporary, fantasy and magic-realism romance. She strives to offer romance, but with complexity; spirituality, without the religion. Her novels express a purpose and offer subtle messages about life, the spirit and, of course, love.

4 comments:

  1. I love your review dear. I like watching reality show but reading about it? Not that much. Seems like a lot of drama. However, your review makes me feels like want to read this book. Maybe with enough motivation I will check it out..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review dear. I like watching reality show but reading about it? Not that much. Seems like a lot of drama. However, your review makes me feels like want to read this book. Maybe with enough motivation I will check it out..

    ReplyDelete