If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Friday, September 9, 2016

Review: When Sparks Fly by J.A. Essen / @BRSPromosPR @AuthorJAEssen





Series & Title: First Responders, Book 1: When Sparks Fly
Author: J.A. Essen
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: September 1, 2016
Genre: Contemporary, Erotica, Menage, LGBTQ, Romance
ARC Received From & Reviewed For: Between The Sheets Promotions


The First-Responders is a contemporary romance, novella series. Each book will be able to be read as a standalone. Book 1 is about Macy, a graduate student and soon to be elementary school teacher, and Seth, a firefighter.

Macy has had a rough go of it with boyfriends lately. "Bad luck or no luck at all" seems to be her constant go-to phrase.
Seth is a firefighter at a Santa Barbara sub station, and is pretty much the Greek god Adonis come-to-life in Macy's eyes. The question is, though, how to get him to notice her.

There is an electric current in the air from the first moment they meet. Seth is a perfect gentleman and Macy, as always, falls hard... both figuratively and literally.

But it doesn't take long for things to start falling apart.

Unexpected surprises lead her down a road she had never even considered.
Macy has a decision to make once her rose-colored glasses have been removed. Will she, or won't she?

Sparks are definitely going to fly!

When I asked to review this book, I was in the mood for something quick and dirty but with a story line. Even a little story line. I wasn't too particular about that last one. *smiles*

Well, this story didn't disappoint. It's fast and dirty and hot and fast. Did I say that already?

It bears repeating, trust me.

Though the pace is fast, the Seth and Macy, along with several other fascinating characters, were very well-developed. The sex scenes, there are several, are definitely hot and explicit but, for me, they aren't what made this story. No, that honor falls to the surprises that Mr. Essen wrote in flawlessly. I say it like that because, honestly, they came out of left field and made me read them twice.

And they also added depth and layers to the characters and the story that made it a little more interesting.

This story does have a happy ending but I was left feeling slightly...confused? It felt like there was still something that needed addressing, but maybe it was just me.

Anyway, if you're looking for quick and explicit, this will probably fit the bill. The humor in it adds a lightheartedness I don't usually find in stories similar to this one, so mad props, Mr. Essen, for incorporating that aspect and making this story one I'll read again.




I’m 35 and live in Texas where I run a restaurant 5 days a week. I have been married to my amazing wife for going on 12 years and have two great little boys who keep us on our toes. I started writing last year after my wife, Author Marie James, had been doing so for a year. I enjoyed writing short stories in middle school and high school, so I thought I’d give it a whirl. After reading her books, along with three of my other favorite authors, MNever, CJ Roberts, and JA Huss, I began writing romance and erotica.

I have a total of 12 novellas planned right now in 4 different series. Some Rom-Com, some sports romance, and definitely some KINK!

No comments:

Post a Comment