If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Review: Forget Us Not by Melissa Shirley / @W_I_Promo



Title: Forget Us Not
Author: Melissa Shirley
Author Links: Blog | Facebook | Goodreads | Amazon
Publisher: After Glows
Release Date: February 28, 2017
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
ARC Received From & Reviewed For: Wickedly Innocent Promotions


Sam Camden is on the verge of losing the only thing he ever cared about—his wife, Makenzie. First, she tells him she wants a divorce then she’s in a car accident and awakes with no memory of their life together. As much as he knows telling her the truth about their relationship is the right thing to do, he can’t leave her.

When he brings her home, suddenly the house she hated is perfect, she finds the closet she filled to capacity ridiculous, and the man she’s barred from her bed is all she wants.

Makenzie knows something is wrong with her, but being married to the man she can hardly remember is more than she ever dreamed. She can’t remember her husband more than the feeling of safety he inspires, but as she watches him and the way he tiptoes around her and measures every word before he speaks it, and her memories come back in pieces, she’s torn between discovering the truth about herself and enjoying the contentment she feels with the life she barely recognizes.

Resisting their attraction to one another is harder than either is prepared to deal with, and together they have to figure out if they can overcome the secrets of their past or if it’s time to say goodbye once and for all.


A second chance at love comes in different forms. Amnesia, temporary or permanent, is a rarely used medium for it, which is a shame. When written right, the love story that was becomes brand new for the characters and reader. It's an exploration of memories, a struggle of remembering, and the discovery of a new beginning.

Sam and Makenzie's story probably mirrors a real life couple somewhere. Not the amnesia and accident part but the "what" that drove Makenzie to pull away. I loved that the dual POV put me in each of their shoes. I loved being in their heads, loved that pull of whatever emotion they were feeling at the moment.

This novella took me by surprise. Not just because of how much story is packed into so few pages but because of the pace. Yup, the pace. Most short stories move quickly, a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am kind of a thing. This story was surprisingly slow but was so full. The mystery of what happened between Sam and Makenzie was given just as much page space as the heaviness of fear and uncertainty that dogged their post-accident footsteps.

A beautiful gem of a story that is worth more than the words of this review, I hope you consider reading it. The reality and gravity of it is only eclipsed by the love and forgiveness at the end.


I am a mom of eight wonderful children (most of whom have children of their own), and a writer. I sometimes do other stuff, too, but nothing usually as important as the children.  I live in a small town in Illinois and write whenever I have the chance. I seem to always have a work in progress. I have recently discovered a love for reviewing what I read. I LOVE to read good books. I stumble on them and am happy to share my insights with others. (Sometimes, even when they don't ask!)

I have a few books published and another under contract.

I write semi-complicated, mostly happy characters and I have tucked them away in my favorite (fictional) small towns of Battlecry, Texas and Storybook Lake, Illinois. Each town is as quirky as its residents and the books are all connected in one manner or another.

Take a tour of the blog and see what fun can be had in each town and meet the characters as they come to life in the stories I hope you will come to love.

Authors love to share their work and hear what their readers have to say. I'm no different, so shoot me an email or leave me a comment and let me know you dropped in or tell me what you think of the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment