If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Review: No Excuses by Nikky Kaye / @ArdentPRose @readnikkykaye



Title: No Excuses
Author: Nikky Kaye
Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon
Publisher: NJS Kaye
Release Date: July 4, 2017
Genre: Contemporary, Comedy, Romance
ARC Received From & Reviewed For: Ardent Prose


Maddie's rules for attending a work retreat:

1          Pack the right clothes. Especially extra underwear.
2          Don’t try to school your insanely hot boss on acceptable trust exercises.
3          Be prepared for the extracurricular ropes course.
4          Make sure there is a safety net when you fall, because you will fall hard

Gage doesn’t appreciate how hard it is to be his right hand woman—especially when I’m spending so much time with my own right hand, fantasizing about him. My demanding, control freak boss is testing all my limits, and I don’t know how long I can stay professional.

No Excuses is a hot, full-length contemporary romance, featuring blindfolds, rope play, food fights, and sexy architectural features like wainscoting. As in all Nikky Kaye books, cheating is not allowed, but some funny stuff and a HEA are non-negotiable.

I went through my library to see what else I had by Ms. Kaye, and was shocked to find I didn't own anything by her! Why???

No Excuses is serious fun, laugh out loud, unexpected craziness that made my day. Gage, first name Brian, is stoic (to a fault), controlling (to a fault), and demanding (again, to a fault). He is the complete, undeniable opposite of Maddie, his assistant, who is, well, nothing like him. Where he's all dark clouds, thunder, and shadows, she's blue skies, rainbows, and multi-colored lights. Their different personalities put them at odds (constantly) yet help balance each other out.

Go figure.

The weekend retreat, mandatory (because what else would an iron-fisted boss like Gage expect?) of course, opens a door that neither can close. Their relationship changes, as do they. Hard edges soften, uncertainty becomes certain. The change is good for them. They become more than what they believed they could, individually and as a couple.

Do I recommend this book? Hell, yes. If not for the romance, then for wicked humor and delightful characters. And if, sadly, you are like me and don't own anything else by Ms. Kaye, I hope it becomes the first of many books you (and I) make that is written by her.


Nikky Kaye is almost my real name. I’m a former Film professor who likes more than her movies to be black and white. Sadly, the world doesn’t work that way. I have worked with movie stars, Ivy League brainiacs, and the United Nations—all of which means that I’m familiar with ass-kissing, power struggles, greed and faking it. In my spare time I parent 5 year-old twin boys, serve on the board of an independent cinema, and run a medical consulting company.

No comments:

Post a Comment