If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Review: My San Francisco Highlander by Aleigha Siron / @AleighaSiron @indiesagepr



Series & Title: Finding My Highlander, Book 2: My San Francisco Highlander
Author: Aleigha Siron
Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon | Newsletter
Publisher: Tirgearr Publishing
Release Date: August 23, 2017
Genre: Time Travel (Historical to Modern), Romance
ARC Received From & Reviewed For: IndieSage PR
Hosted By: IndieSage PR


A love three hundred years in the making — After being knocked out in battle, Angus Cameron wakes in a terrifying new world with flying beasts, horseless carriages, crazy music, and strangely dressed people. Has he gone mad? When Angel Adair discovers a man in 1975's San Francisco Lands End park dressed in little more than a Scottish kilt, is he just a confused drifter or her dream-lover come to life?

Angus is, hands down, my favorite character in this book. He is the hero I want when I read historical romances. Old-fashioned sense of honor and dignity, unrivaled need to care for those he loves, unyielding strength, and surprising compassion. He's the epitome hero of the genre I love the most.

He is not a fit for 1975 San Francisco.

The world he's thrust into is a far cry from the one he knows. "Lost" doesn't begin to describe him as he navigates his surroundings. Unaccustomed to cars, language, clothing, politics, he flounders and struggles for footing. He finds it, somewhat, in Gillian.

Gillian is...hard to like. (Since I'm an 80's kid, the political upheaval and mindset of the 70's is kinda lost on me, although it seems to have repeated itself in recent times.) Gillian is a feminist (to me) and her "I am woman, hear me roar" mantra clashes loudly with Angus's 1600's values regarding women. It made her an abrasive female lead, one I'm not used to reading about therefore one that was difficult, but not impossible, to like.

The secondary characters will make you want more from Ms. Siron. Gillian's brother reminds me of my uncle who served in Vietnam and came home a different man. The stories I've been told of his return mirror her brother's, the PTSD, reaction to being a civilian, lack of acceptance from society. My heart cried for him and longed for him to find happiness. I hope he does.

The story overall is lovely and moves along steadily despite so much going on. Angus and Gillian's relationship isn't easy, and at times I had trouble connecting/relating to either. Those moments made me wonder if their happily ever after was really worth it. But who am I to judge? The strongest relationships I bear witness to in real life are the ones in which a happily ever after just didn't seem possible.

I didn't read the first book; I don't feel you need to to read this one. Ms. Siron's use of time-travel, historical to modern, is interesting and not one I come across often. This is a well-written story, enjoyable despite my slight aversion to Gillian. It's one I may revisit later to see if my feelings have changed.




My San Francisco Highlander is Aleigha’s second full-length romance novel in her Finding My Highland Series. Now, an Amazon best-selling author of Time-Travel romance, she is working on the third book in her Finding My Highlander Series as well as a collection of romance poems. She’s also working on early character sheets for a Regency Romance series.

After more than twenty-five years writing and delivering management and other training programs, Aleigha Siron turned her writing efforts to fiction and poetry. When not writing, you’ll often find Aleigha walking along the shore with her trusty four-legged companion, Strider. The whoosh of waves across glistening sand and the turbulent swell of the sea at sunset dissolves the noise of the day. If this fails to conjure the muses and stimulate her creative juices, she’ll sip a glass of wine and read.

Aleigha loves all forms of writing, but historical and romance fiction provide a favorite escape, especially those with time-travel themes. A firm believer that everyone secretly yearns for the romance novels’ essential HEA, she knew this was her genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment