If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. - Oscar Wilde
We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. - B. F. Skinner
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. - Mary Wortley Montagu

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Review: Claimed by Jenika Snow



Title: Claimed
Author: Jenika Snow
Publisher: Jenika Snow
Release Date: January 28, 2018
Genre: Dystopian, Explicit, Safe, Romance
Book Version: eBook


The world that was once known is gone. In its place is a society where the rich rule, and the female population is auctioned off to the highest bidder.

CLAIRE

Xavier saved me, purchasing me off the auction block and making me feel human again. Although I knew he wanted me, could see it in the way he watched me, he never touched me.

But I wanted him to.

I wanted to feel what it would be like to have his big body over mine, his strong hands running over my bare flesh. I shouldn’t want a man like him: rich, dangerous … one of the elite.

But I did.

Maybe it was time to break free from my shell and give myself something I deserved … him.

XAVIER

I had money and power, and I used those to my advantage, to purchase women from the auction under the guise that they were for me. But they weren’t. I purchased them to set them free. I’d been doing it for years without romantic attachment to any of them … until Claire came into my life.

And once I saw her, I knew she’d be the one I couldn’t let go. She’d be my downfall, but I was more than ready to fall to my knees and worship the ground she walked on.

Warning: Set in the same world as Mine To Keep, but a total standalone, this story is a safe read with a happily ever after. It might be short, but it promises to make you blush and reach for a fan. There is no OW/OM drama, just one alpha hero who knows what he wants … the heroine.

Xavier has spent the last decade or so doing what probably many in his world will not: save lives. His wealth and power gives him the means to purchase women sold at auction and give them a safe haven to heal and thrive. His mission is catch and release, until he meets Claire.

She isn’t really any different from the women before. Her rights are forfeit because she’s a female. Her fear is palpable at not knowing who bought her. But Xavier is nothing like she imagined him to be. His size is intimidating and power emanates from him, but there is something about that lulls Claire in to want him, to need him, to trust him.

That thing that exists between Xavier and Claire is real and defiant. It leads them down a path neither have dared dream of traveling but for each other they would take that risk.

Overall, this story is remarkably warm and sweet. True to Ms. Snow form, the sex between the main characters is explicit as are some to-be expected remarks between them. Yet that warmth and sweetness that built beforehand rolls through the sheets with Xavier and Claire, magnifying their lovemaking by a thousand.

I can appreciate a short steamy novella like the next reader, but when an author maintains sweet warmth throughout, it makes the story that much more meaningful to me. If you’re a Ms. Snow fan, you’ll enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment